Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Road Trip!

Heading north this morning.

My company has an office onsite at IBM in Fishkill, NY (about 45 min up the Hudson from NYC). Our contract there provides 24/7 onsite technical support and we are required to keep a certain number of folks at the office at any time. So, when someone is out, that slot has to be backfilled. This time, one of our night shift guys is out on a prolonged injury so everyone is taking turns filling in and this is my week to go.

I'm going to be working nights (6PM to 6AM) tonight through Saturday night. It will most likely be very easy work. The hard part will be staying awake. But I am very much looking forward to seeing my friends who work there. They are truly a great bunch of guys.

The working nights part takes a little getting used to. I'm good with sleeping during the day, but the change in the eating schedule throws me off a little. These guys go out for dinner at midnight to a real greasy spoon diner (The illustrious "I-84 Diner", where they know the waitresses and most of the truck drivers by name) and then they go to Dunkin Donuts at 4:00 AM because that is when the hot donuts come out of the oven. They do this pretty much every night and for some reason thay are all fairly skinny people. Maybe there is something in the water?

I love going on trips. I always have. I think I just like to get away. Daleen and Colin aren't coming this time unfortunately. They went with me the last time and we had fun. As you can imagine, I'll miss them. But we're going away on vacation for a week when I get home on Sunday and I'm looking forward to that.

1 comment:

Connie Kottmann said...

have fun in Fishkill. At least it should be beautiful up there with the leaves changing. That's one of the best aspects of upstate New York. You can't beat the autumn color. Hope you have a good week, enjoy the healthy food too.