Monday, September 29, 2008

I Love the Smell of Chicken in the Morning......

My house smells like cooked chicken, and I'm ok with that.

That's because Daleen spent Saturday afternoon and part of Sunday morning cooking and shredding thirty pounds of chicken for barbeque for the 1st annual fall picnic for our church. The picnic was yesterday afternoon and I would definitely say the whole thing was a huge success. Over 350 people showed up, we had great weather, and everyone was well fed and really enjoyed themselves.

It was asked that people bring their own desserts and this really made the afternoon even better. The food tables were pretty much overflowing with about every kind of sweet thing you could imagine. I felt like I needed an insulin shot just looking at it all. Colin even had a hard time deciding on what he wanted, but he eventually settled on a cupcake with sprinkles and two chocolate chip cookies. This of course was to follow up after some of the best homemade barbeque I have ever tasted.

Besides the food, there was every kind of game you could imagine. Our church has some very competetive people as members and the picnic wouldn't have been complete without some team sports. However, there was something for everyone. I discovered that Colin is really improving at kicking the soccer ball around. This was before he spied the kids volleyball net and then spontaneously went into a sort of wierd, screaming, one-man volleyball game with his soccer ball. Hey, he lives in his own little world sometimes.....

One thing I was amazed with is the number of volunteers that showed up to make and serve the food, organize the tables and trash bags, and run the games. This church has a great community of folks who step up every time something needs to be done. They come early to set up and stay late afterwards to tear it all back down. Thanks to everyone who helped out yesterday to make this such a great success.

As I mentioned, this is our 1st annual fall picnic. This year the event is a kickoff for the fall church series called "Awaken" that will run until the beginning of November and will end with a mini-Olympics and chili cook-off (more sports.... I did explain about our competetive members, right?) With the turnout we had, I am certain we will be doing this again next year. There have already been some discussions as to how it all can be done even better.

I have to say, it was strange to see all of those crock-pots sitting in my kitchen, slowly cooking all thirty pounds of chicken. And the smell has subsided quite a bit, but I think we will remember the fun and enjoy the new friendships made long after that chicken smell is gone.

No comments: