Thursday, January 15, 2009

Friends in Need

Yesterday was a slow day at work. Very slow. Yesterday afternoon I was keeping myself busy by writing in this blog about how my friend Dan (sits in the cubicle across from me) and I were keeping ourselves busy by trying to solve the world's problems. The big problem yesterday was that India is the world's fastest growing video gaming market and yet there are no games specifically for them. Our solution?.... Sitar Hero... ta-daaaa! Yeah I know, we're such nerds.

And then I got the call from Daleen.

It's odd how the big problems in life always hit you on some idle Wednesday afternoon.

Daleen phoned to tell me our friends Frances and Shannon Wells' house burned down. Everyone in their family is safe thank God. They were renting the house and everything inside of it is gone. They've lost pretty much everything.

We've known Shannon and Frances for a long time through our church. They are a close-knit, hardworking family and great people to know. I can't imagine why this would have happened to them, but many of our friends and church members are not going to worry about that. What we are doing now is thinking about how we can help them and what we can do to meet their needs.
With the loss of everything, they obviously have a lot of needs, everything from a new place to live, clothes, pots and pans, plates to eat off of, furniture, you name it. They need a lot, but I know there are a lot of people in our church family who are ready and want to help.

For those of you who don't do the church thing, this is pretty much how God often works. People run into real trouble and God acts by sending the church and it's people in to help. I have to admit, it's a pretty effective way to go. Together, we can do a lot more than a few individuals could ever on thier own. Also, when I'm helping people in this way, it makes me feel great. I feel like I'm doing something I was meant to do, like I have a purpose. Incidentally, I have also been on the receiving end of care and help provided by the church. In those times, I have always felt a lot more comforted and at-ease than I ever could have without them.

The Wells family has a lot of needs. Our church has a lot of work to do to help them. It's not like there are a bunch of government agencies or any other major aid groups swooping in to assist them. So it's up to them, their families and friends, and us. I would encourage you to help as well. Even if you don't go to church or know them. They're great folks and deserve some help during this time. It will definitely make you feel great.

If you want to help, Powhatan Community Church is accepting monetary donations for the family and will get those into their account. You can contact the church office at 804.598.1174 or at www.powhatancc.org. Also, if you have any tangible items you would like to donate, please contact John Starkey with the church at johnS@powhatancommunitychurch.org. My family is going to help Shannon and Frances during their time of need. We're going to help the church help them. I would encourage you to do the same. I'm doing my part now because it's the right thing to do, and I know someday I am going to be on the receiving end again, and I'll be glad to see that same sort of help coming to me.

1 comment:

Daleen said...

It's amazing how you can become so wrapped up in your own problems and then something like this happens and it just give you new perspective on life. I can't wait to see how we as a body of believers will help and support this family in need.