Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Boating in the Election

I took my two-year-old to go vote yesterday.

Luckily the line was pretty short and we only had to wait ten minutes or so. Colin of course, took the time to ham it up and get everyone in the line laughing.

I kept telling him we were voting (with a 'V"), but all he heard was that we were going to Boat. He couldn't understand why we were going into a building, but figured the boat must be in there. He asked lots of questions about the boat, which got some of the folks in line smiling.

By the time I got him to say the word "President", everyone was laughing. Someone then asked him what his name was and he said "President!". When asked how old he was, he held up two fingers and said "Three!" (We're going to have to work on that one.)

Making a two-year-old wait in a line to vote is like trying to herd cats. It's hard, (he did like the touch screen voting machine though). But I'm glad he came with me and saw people exercising their rights and engaging in their civic duty. A lot of people have died so we can have this right and I think it very important our children don't become complacent when it comes to voting.

We have a new president-elect as of this morning. My guy didn't win, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Obama is going to do. He's got a lot looking him in the face. No matter what, I can tell with all certainty that with the amount of voter turnout yesterday, the democratic system in this country is alive and well, and I feel great about that.....

No comments: